Thanks to Chief Scout Bear Grylls for his appearance in the video below and The Scout Association, we’ve new editions of Scouting for Boys ready for the 21st-century.
The book that began it all…as you’ve never seen it before.
The book that started the worldwide Scout movement, Scouting for Boys, by Robert Baden-Powell, is now available as an interactive app for iPad. It contains over 250 pages of the original manuscript, which has never before been seen in public.
An all-time bestseller
Originally published in 1908 in six parts, the book is reputed to have sold over 100 million copies worldwide and translated into over 80 languages, making it the world’s fourth bestselling book after the Bible, the Koran and Chairman Mao’s Little Red Book.
The blueprint for Scouting now takes on a new lease of life as part of an interactive app that allows you to explore the text and its background in more detail than ever before. The app contains:
- Over 250 pages the original manuscript of Scouting for Boys
- The original annotated typescript
- The six original published parts
- Baden-Powell’s own account of the experimental camp on Brownsea Island in August 1907
- Expert analysis and background information
- A new essay on Scouting for Boys by Professor Elleke Boehmer, who introduced the 2004 OUP edition
- Sketches, cover artwork and photography
- Audio and video
The app also contains a host of background documents, previously only available to scholars, including B-P’s contract with his publisher, letters and corrections (see the video above for more).
The original manuscript – also available in print
Scouting for Boys, Robert Baden-Powell’s original manuscript is now also available as a new printed edition. Containing over 250 pages, the manuscript includes the first ever written versions of the Scout Promise and Law and an introduction from B-P’s grandson, the current Lord Baden-Powell.
Postage will be charged separately.